Installing an Equal-i-zer sway control hitch
Installing an Equal-i-zer sway control hitch involves several steps to ensure proper setup and functionality. Here is a general guide on how to install an Equal-i-zer sway bar:
Note: This is a basic guide. Always refer to the specific instructions provided with your Equal-i-zer sway control hitch as there may be variations depending on the model.
- Equal-i-zer sway control hitch kit
- Appropriate hitch ball
- Torque wrench
- Adjustable wrenches
- Socket set
- Hitch pin and clip
- Trailer jack
Choose the Correct Hitch Size:
- Ensure that you have the correct size Equal-i-zer hitch for your trailer's weight.
Install the Hitch Ball:
- Install the correct size hitch ball onto the hitch head, following the manufacturer's torque specifications.
Attach the Hitch Head to the Shank:
- Slide the hitch head onto the shank and secure it using the provided hardware. Torque the bolts to the specifications in the manual.
Mount the Hitch on the Tow Vehicle:
- Lift the trailer tongue with the trailer jack.
- Slide the hitch assembly into the receiver on the tow vehicle.
- Secure it with the hitch pin and clip.
Level the Hitch Head:
- Adjust the hitch head to be level with the trailer when the trailer is level. This may involve raising or lowering the hitch ball.
Connect the Trailer:
- Back the tow vehicle up to the trailer hitch coupler.
- Lower the trailer onto the hitch ball.
- Lock the coupler into place.
Adjust the L-Brackets:
- Install the L-brackets onto the trailer frame using the provided hardware.
- Adjust the L-brackets so that they are level and parallel with the ground.
Attach the Spring Arms:
- Insert the spring arms into the hitch head.
- Connect the other end of the spring arms to the L-brackets using the provided hardware.
Tighten the L-Bracket Bolts:
- Tighten the bolts on the L-brackets securely. Use a torque wrench to ensure proper tightness.
Adjust the Tension:
- Adjust the tension on the spring arms using the integrated cams on the hitch head. Follow the manufacturer's instructions for proper tension.
Perform a Test Drive:
- Take the tow vehicle and trailer for a short test drive to ensure the sway control is working effectively.
Always refer to the specific instructions provided by Equal-i-zer for your particular model, as there may be variations in the installation process. If you are uncertain or uncomfortable with the installation, consider seeking professional assistance or guidance.